Glittering Stones » How to Care and Clean Diamonds
How to Care and Clean Gemstones
A Gemstone has a smooth polish, sparkling color and beautiful luster. But regular wear may damage the immense beauty of the gemstone. It is important to take proper care of them with adequate storage and cleaning process.
How to Care for a Gemstone
- Examine the type of gemstone. Use soft bristle toothbrush, warm water and mild soap to clean the gemstones.
- Take gemstones to the jeweler to fix the loose settings, repair or replace damaged clasps and buff out the shallow scratches on gemstones.
- Store gemstones carefully in its original packaging or jewelry box.
- Use non abrasive silver cloth or soft lint free cloth to polish jewelry and remove tarnishing.
- Don’t expose to harsh chemicals or perfumes, since it cause discoloration.
- Avoid wearing gemstones to prevent scratches during heavy duty.
- Don’t spray beauty products like hair spray, cosmetics or perfume by wearing gemstones.
How to Clean a Gemstone
- Cleaning is not a big task, but it’s difficult to know what type of cleaning should be provided for that particular gemstone. Certain gems like opals, amber and pearls are soft and porous. So, they should be wiped with a clean moist cloth.
- Gemstones like turquoise, onyx, lapis lazuli are opaque gemstones that absorbs chemicals and cause discoloration in stones. It is not recommended to use ultrasonic cleaner, ammonia, chemical solution.
- Diamonds, rubies and sapphires can be cleaned with a touch of ammonia in water. Avoid soaking porous stones in water.
- Porous like pearls, opals and turquoise should not be soaked in water since they soak up the water. To clean, gently wipe the porous stones with damp clean cloth.
- Non porous stones can be cleaned using cleaning pastes. Soft and mild paste should be used to clean the gemstones, while harsh paste will scratch the gemstones.
- Make a mixture of warm water and mild soap and then clean the gemstone softly using soft bristle brushes.
- Rinse the gemstone in clean water
- Wipe the stone using lint free cloth.